Bibingka is a traditional Filipino rice cake that is typically served during Christmas time. There are several variations to this recipe, but this one is the one my mom has handed down to me! You can also find this on page 64 of our cookbook, Filipino Cooking Made Easy!
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup powdered sugar (for dusting)
1 1/2 cup coconut milk
2 cups all purpose flour (or use rice flour)
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp baking powder
optional – but delicious!
1/2 cup grated Edam cheese
1/2 cup melted butter/margarine
1/2 cup grated coconut
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Mix the sugar with the coconut milk in a bowl and make sure sugar is dissolved. Add beaten, frothy eggs to mixture.
3. Sift the flour in a separate bowl, add salt and baking powder. Sift again.
4. Combine egg mixture with flour mixture. Beat well.
5. Pour into baking pan.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, then sprinkle cheese and bake 20 minutes more. Brush the top twice with margarine while baking and sprinkle sugar on top.
7. Allow Bibingka to cool. Serve with grated coconut on top.