So I decided to take matters into my own hands and I made three different dishes that I was craving for. I followed my dad’s recipes in Filipino Cooking Made Easy (our cookbook – ebook and hard cover is still available, by the way!) and despite some hiccups (ie, me burning the potatoes, sigh!)- I managed to replicate the delicious Filipino flavours I missed while I was gone.
PS, if you want to watch a pro actually cook this, you can watch My Dad cook it on our Youtube video here.
3 big tomatoes
1 small can tomato sauce
4 cloves of garlic
2 medium onions, chopped
2 lbs beef steak, cubed
1 ring of sausage, sliced
Soy sauce to taste
Black Pepper to taste
1 Red Pepper sliced and fried
4 Small potatoes, cubed and fried
1. Put all meat into a large pot and fill with with a little bit of water.
2. Cut up tomatoes, chop onions, garlic and add into pot. Add bay leaf.
3. Pour in tomato sauce into the pot and mix. Add a little bit of soy sauce and black pepper and salt to taste.
4. Squeeze some lemon into the pot.
5. Simmer for 30-40 minutes.
6. In a pan, heat oil and fry red peppers until just cooked.
7. Remove from pan, fry potatoes until browned.
8. Stir the pot once in a while, as it boils.
9. After 40 minutes, add potatoes and half of the red peppers.
10. Let cook for another 5-10 minutes.
11. Pour into serving dish and garnish the top with left over red peppers.