Today, I was inspired to make Japchae – Korean stir fried noodles with veggies. Not going to lie, I was on Youtube, saw this little kid eating Japchae happily and it inspired me to make it. Anyway, it wasn’t so hard to make and the sauce isn’t overly complicated.
(Adapted from Maangchi)
Makes 6-8 servings
Starch Noodles “dangmyun”
150 grams of beef, sliced thinly
2 green peppers
2 red peppers
4-6 medium mushrooms
half a small onion
2-4 cloves of garlic, diced
1. Boil the noodles in boiling water for 3 minutes, when the noodles are soft, drain them and run them in cold water. Transfer to a large bowl.
2. Cut the noodles and add 1 table spoon soy sauce and 1 table spoon of sesame oil. Mix and set aside.
3. Stir fry the beef, add onions and garlic. Add 1/2 table spoon soy sauce and 1/2 table spoon sugar (adjust to desired taste).
4. Add vegetables to stir fry and cook.
5. Add the vegetables and meat to the noodles and toss. Add 2 table spoons of soy sauce, 3 table spoons of sugar, 2 table spoons of sesame oil and desired amount of ground pepper. Mix. Add 1 table spoon of sesame seeds.
6. Serve as is, as a side dish or with rice.