So without further ado, here is his recipe – warning, it makes a lot! So make sure your hungry friends are nearby to help you eat it all!
Strawberries and Cream Whoopie Pies by Chef Julian Bond
Prep Time: 1 hour
Baking Time: 10 minutes
Yield: ~20 sandwiches
2-1/4 cups (550ml) all-purpose flour
1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup (175ml) unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp (5ml) baking soda
1/3 cup (75ml) vegetable oil
1-1/2 cup (375ml) buttermilk
1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
3/4 cup (175ml) water
3/4 cup (175ml) granulated sugar
1-1/4 cup (300ml) diced strawberries
Vanilla Whipped Cream
1-1/4 cup (300ml) 35% whipping cream
1 tbsp (15ml) icing sugar
1 tsp (5ml) vanilla
more icing sugar for dusting, optional
1. Preheat oven to 375F (190C) with racks positioned in upper and lower thirds of oven. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder and baking soda. In a larger bowl, whisk together egg and vegetable oil. Add buttermilk and vanilla. Whisk until completely blended.
3. Slowly stir flour mixture into buttermilk mixture until just combined. Drop 1-1/2 tablespoons (22ml) batter into 12 mounds at least 2 inches apart, repeat on second sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, switching pans on racks halfway or until puffed and tops spring back when touched. Let cool on pans for 2 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool completely.
4. Macerated Strawberries: In a small saucepan, combine water and sugar; heat over low heat, until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate to cool. Stir strawberries into cooled sugar mixture, let stand 10 minutes. Drain sugar mixture.
5. Vanilla Whipped Cream: Meanwhile, in a chilled bowl, whip cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
6. To assemble, spread or pipe 2 tablespoons of cream on the flat side of half the cakes. Top with about 1 tbsp of macerated strawberries. Sandwich with remaining cakes. Dust with icing sugar if desired.
For more ideas and recipes, check out the Dairy Farmer’s Any Day Magic Website.
Please note that I was contacted by the Dairy Farmers of Canada and products were delivered to me to use for this recipe, I was not obligated or paid to write this post. All opinions are my own.