The next thing that came to mind was to make something out of it! A friend had recently come back from New Zealand and gifted me with a huge bar of dark chocolate – so I thought of making so a dark chocolate maple whiskey cake.
Without further ado, here is the recipe!
6 eggs (separated, keep both!)
1 cup butter (I used salted)
1 1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup whiskey
1 big bar of dark chocolate (300g)
1 1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup cocoa powder
Dark Chocolate Ganache:
2 bars (100g each) of dark chocolate
3/4 cup heavy/whipping cream
1. Separate your eggs, and beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
2. Melt chocolate over a bowl in boiling/simmering water.
3. In it’s own bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder.
4. Beat butter and sugar until creamy.
5. Incorporate egg yolks one at a time into the butter/sugar mixture.
6. Add whiskey and melted chocolate.
7. Fold in flour mixture, then egg whites.
8. Pour batter into two cake pans and bake for 350F for an hour or until toothpick comes clean in the middle.
9. Cool cakes on a cooling rack.
10. Pour cream into sauce pan and bring to a boil.
11. Break up chocolates into small pieces and place into a heat resistant bowl.
12. Pour boiling cream over the chocolates and let stand for 2 minutes (DO NOT STIR!)
13. After two minutes, whisk chocolate and cream until blended. Let ganache stand or put into the refrigerator until thick enough to use as icing.
14. Slice tops off cake tops, slather ganache over top of one cake top. Put second cake top on top and begin to decorate your cake!