I was on the lookout for a condo that could accommodate 6 people and I would’ve booked further in advance, but we were unsure if there would be one additional person and the window of opportunity was closing. Ocean View Diamond Head was one of my original choices – although I believe I almost booked their other condo (Ocean View Waikiki) that had 4 rooms and a hot tub (fun times!). It booked up quickly, so OVDH was our next best option.
The main reasons I choice OVDH over other rentals?
1. It was budget friendly – probably one of the most affordable options without being questionable in location and amenities.
2. There was potential to have more people stay with a lot of pull out beds in the living room – as our 7th person couldn’t decide right away, this was a good option.
3. The location. It’s a 5 minute drive from some great places like Leonard’s Bakery and Ono Seafood, and it’s quite close (10-15 minutes) to Waikiki. It’s located up the hills, so you get a beautiful view of Diamond Head, Waikiki and Honolulu.
4. Our hosts offered their vans for us to use during our stay, included in our price. This saved us over $800 USD. It was super simple too, they used Turo and our host informed me when the van was available. I went onto Turo’s website [please note this link is a referral link] and it asked me for my drivers license and whether I wanted to add additional insurance (which I did) and I paid for the rental and insurance. Our host then credited back the rental price. The van was super helpful and fit all 7 of us comfortably. I was also surprised how little gas we used up during the week – we barely burnt half a tank, and we drove everywhere! Also, the van had a GPS – very helpful!
5. Having a full kitchen and bbq. We wanted to have one evening where we could have a BBQ and relax on the lanai while watching the fireworks at the Hilton Village (yep, you can see them from our lanai). We also had the ability to have a delicious breakfast before we headed out every day, so that was a bonus! The kitchen was nice, equipped with dining and cooking tools and a couple things that helped like a spice rack, olive oil spray and coffee filters for our delicious Hawaiian coffees.
All the rooms had nice beds that were comfortable and made us feel like we were in our home. There is a lot of closet and drawer space if you really want to feel at home! All three bedrooms have AC and so does the common area (living and kitchen).
The lanai (balcony) is quite large and wraps around two sides of the house. Although the front area of the lanai is the most impressive part with the view of Diamond Head and Waikiki. We loved the lounge chairs and spent our mornings there.
The washrooms are good, they are also stocked with soap, lotion, conditioner, shampoo and shower gel.
There are two closets downstairs – one that has linens and extra pillows, another one located out side that has everything you could possibly need: golf clubs, boogie boards, strollers, surfboard, standup paddleboard, coolers…you name it, it was in there.
There is also a washer and dryer which is also very convenient – especially on beach days.
I would definitely stay here again if we were in Honolulu, and I would recommend it if you’re staying with 3-6 people. Our host even had a welcome basket for us, our stayed really embodied the aloha spirit!
This being the first time for my parents and aunt to stay in a condo as opposed to a hotel, they were clearly impressed. They liked the laid back nature of staying in a condo and having common areas for the entire family to relax in together. My dad – who’s birthday we were celebrating – really enjoyed the convenience of living in the condo for a week. We were all blown away by the view – we arrived at night but the city lights were gorgeous. When we woke up the next morning, we were even more in awe of the phenomenal view that laid before us. I have always been a fan in staying in condos when travelling with large groups and I would recommend Ocean View if you’re coming to Oahu!