1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder (Martha calls for “good quality unsweetened Dutch-process” cocoa, but I used regular no-name powder and it was just fine!)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening OR substitute 1/2 cup butter (melted and cooled)
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Put butter and sugar into the bowl and cream until fluffy. Mix in shortening (or additional butter). Add egg and vanilla; mix until creamy. Gradually add flour mixture, and mix until just combined – DO NOT OVERSTIR!!
- Drop dough onto baking sheets. Bake until edges are firm, 11 to 15 minutes.
- Martha’s recipe called for unsalted butter – but I used margarine and it was just fine.
- I do want to reiterate to NEVER OVERSTIR your batter once you add the dry mixture unless you want flat cookies.
- I also added some of the M&Ms left over from the wedding to not only brighten up the cookie but to add a lil more sweetness to it – feel free to add whatever you please to the mix!
- Martha also called for a cooking time of 18-20 minutes – but thats if you make really big cookies. You can make about 2 dozen.